Autumn arrived and it brought loads and loads of pumpkins! If you are looking for an easy and yummy recipe to use up your pumpkins or when you are craving something delicious and chocolatey, look no further. These pumpkin brownies will save your day.
When our neighbor gave us a 1.5 kg pumpkin from her family’s garden last week I had no idea how to use it all. Thank god for the internet. I went looking for an easy sweet vegan recipe to put my pumpkin to good use. It took me less than one minute to find one. Yay Google!
Here’s a link to the original recipe (in Dutch): De Groene Meisjes
I adapted the recipe by reducing the amount of sugar and adding a ripe banana instead. Also, I used an organic herb mix of cinnamon, coriander, anise, ginger, clove, and cardamon to spice it up. I ended up with a delicious brownie with a soft banana flavor and a hint of spice. YUM!
Here’s the recipe if you want to give it a go.
- 600 grams of fresh pumpkin
- 150 buckwheat flour
- 50 grams of sugar
- 1 ripe banana
- 50 gram of raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- your favorite spice mix
How to make it
- Remove the seeds and skin from the pumpkin and slice it in big chunks. Cook the pumpkin in water until soft.
- Blend the pumpkin together with the banana in a blender until smooth.
- Mix the buckwheat flour, sugar, raw cacao, baking powder and spice mix in a big bowl.
- Add the pumpkin and banana puree to the bowl and mix until smooth again.
- Add the mixture to a lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Check if the brownies are ready by using a wooden toothpick.
For extra flavor, you can add grated orange, lemon, ginger or chili pepper as a topping.
I saved a few of the pumpkin seeds and stored them for later. Next spring, I will sow them and see what comes out. Keep an eye on my Instagram stories for information on how I grow food at home.
Share your brownies with the world!
Are you going to try these vegan pumpkin brownies? Let me know what you think of the recipe! Take a nice photo of the result and tag me on Instagram (@janneke_vandijk).
Do you have questions? Mail me via firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a message here.
Straight into your mailbox
You can receive my recipes directly into your mailbox. Yay! Sign up below.